GLOF
Welcome to Girls' Life Out Forums

Pleas register to participate in the forums or log in in case you already have an account.

Thanks!!

I forgot my password

Growing Veg*n Population

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is your "diet"?

Growing Veg*n Population Vote_lcap76%Growing Veg*n Population Vote_rcap 76% 
[ 13 ]
Growing Veg*n Population Vote_lcap6%Growing Veg*n Population Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Growing Veg*n Population Vote_lcap0%Growing Veg*n Population Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 17

Growing Veg*n Population Empty Growing Veg*n Population

Post by Scuzz on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 pm

All over the world especially in countries like the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia the rate of people going veg*n (vegetarian or vegan) in the past few years is rapidly climbing especially among Millennials and other young generations. People are becoming veg*n not only to save the lives and stop suffering of animals but it is also proving good for the environment and your health. Many corporations are also taking note and making more veg*n friendly options and alternatives. (Even the giant poultry corporation Tyson Foods invested in Beyond Meat (a mock meat company) and now own 5% of the company and launched a venture capital fund worth $150 million to invest in startups that develop plant-based meat alternatives.) So if one of the worlds largest meat corporations starts investing in plant based protein (who would be seen as their competitors) you know that is the path the world is taking!

I myself have been vegetarian since I was 12 or 13 years old. I got into it because of animal rights but also support it for environmental reasons. Not so much my health because both before and after I went vegetarian I have always been an unhealthy eater.  I choose vegan as much as possible but I am also a very picky eater. I have pretty much cut out drinking straight milk (which I used to love) and eating straight eggs (which I also used to enjoy frequently) though I still consume products with dairy and eggs in them and cheese is still quite a downfall for me. I still hope to maybe one day go fully vegan.

There are actually multiple levels of veg*nism:
"Flexitarian" - consume mostly a vegetarian diet with the rare meat product, most other veg*ns have a problem with this term and it isn't really a "diet" but many other veg*ns like myself support any effort too reduce or eliminate animal products
Pescetarian - don't consume meat beside fish or seafood (ie semi-vegetarian)
Pollotarian - don't consume meat besides poultry or fowl (ie semi-vegetarian)
Lacto Ovo Vegetarian - don't consume meat (this is the regular or normal "vegetarian")
Lacto Vegetarian - don't consume meat or eggs
Ovo Vegetarian- don't consume meat or dairy

Vegan - don't consume meat or any animal byproducts (eggs, dairy, honey, gelatin etc.) Also normally extends past a diet into their lifestyle and they don't use any products with animal products or byproducts as ingredients or if they were tested on animals, nor do they use or wear the skin of animals (wool, leather, fur, silk etc), and normally don't support/fund/participate in any type of animal abuse or exploitation that most animal rights groups are against.
Fruitarian - (I don't know if anyone actually lives on this "diet"/lifestyle long term but) they don't consume anything but fruits, and possibly nuts and seeds (This diet comes from the idea of not having to kill plants like you would have to do to consume vegetables)
(Raw - A lot of people in these diets also have a "raw" diet which means food that is uncooked, unprocessed, organic etc although you can also have a raw omnivore diet as well)

If anyone would like I can try and make suggestions on organizations, websites, movies, books etc to learn more about veg*nism and it's effects on the various aspects of animal welfare, environmentalism, health, or anything else related to this topic just leave a comment or message me. I might make posts of these suggestions and posts that dive more into the ideals behind veg*n "diets" in their respective sections at a later date but I just wanted to make this general post about veg*n diets. Feel free to leave your own experiences and generic comments on veg*n diets.
Scuzz
Scuzz

Back to top Go down

Growing Veg*n Population Empty Re: Growing Veg*n Population

Post by Danna on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 pm

I respect vegans but I personally need my food :p
Danna
Danna
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAlice on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I didn't know there were so many "...tarians" Surprised
ItsAlice
ItsAlice

Back to top Go down

Post by WaterBaby on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:15 pm

I've found that it really isn't that hard to cut meat out. Granted I still eat fish, so that's made having options easier. I noticed that after cutting it out of my diet, my struggle with facial acne has decreased. Hard to tell when I'm having my period, but over time, I've noticed it's gotten a lot better. If I'd just leave the rest of my body alone, that would probably be better, too. I don't think I'd go vegan, simply because I don't like having people have to decide to not do something or go somewhere they want to because of me. So I just stick to pescetarianism.

I've also had a girl who had recently gone vegetarian tell me that when she told her dad she was trying it he told her she'd lose her hair. I've been at this for over 3 years and my hair is thick af.
WaterBaby
WaterBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileysd on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Never heard losing hair before. Sounds like bullshit.

I enjoy meat...maybe it is growing up in an agricultural state. Anyhow, thisnis one area where a Inthink people should just figure out what works best for them, because we all are different (and change over time)
Haileysd
Haileysd

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuzz on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:...I don't think I'd go vegan, simply because I don't like having people have to decide to not do something or go somewhere they want to because of me....

I know with me being vegetarian and my sister being vegan especially when it has to do with eating out or even going to any type of family party or event where there is food we just reassure people that we are fine with whatever they want or whatever they have. We either eat before or after (take food with us if it is appropriate) as well as normally munch on whatever veg*n options we can. I also think with the growing veg*n society you will start to see more actual vegan options on menus that aren't just salads and what have you. Normally if my boyfriend and I go out to eat (which is rarely and normally with gift cards from my grandma from Christmas) we always choose restaurants that serve breakfast all day because that is my favorite! Sometimes I order the side of meat just so my boyfriend can eat it lol since it is going to cost me the same and isn't going to make much of a statement with leaving the side of meat off my order. I'm just saying being the veg*n the group can be beneficial to omnivore friends as well.

Last edited by Scuzz on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar/spelling)
Scuzz
Scuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by beccsx0x on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:57 pm

I mostly eat chicken. 99% of my meat is chicken but on occasion I'll have steak. Usually don't go out of my way to make it myself though lol

beccsx0x

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_D on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 am

I have an omnivore diet

Hannah_D

Back to top Go down

Post by OmgItsRira on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 am

Mine is mostly omni but I like to incorporate a plant-based meal/day once a week. My big thing is to reduce the amount of processed food to as minimal as I can get away with. I've researched all on how big brand companies go about farming their meat, and I agree; it's horrid. Frankly if I had my way, I'd be getting my meat from a trusted/more humane source, or doing the catching/hunting myself. So far the best I can do about that is buy kosher/halal.
OmgItsRira
OmgItsRira

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuzz on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 pm

@OmhItsRira

I'm not trying to attack your personal choices but since you brought up kosher I just wanted to mention on this thread things labeled "kosher" isn't what you think it is. Kosher is supposed to be a method of slaughter that is more "humane" for the animals and with one cut they are supposed to be rendered unconscious before they start to bleed out. Though to meet the demand you still have large factory farm and machine like slaughterhouses that produce this meat. They care about speed, numbers, money, which leads to not so "kosher" incidents where animals frequently aren't rendered unconscious with that 1 cut and are just left to bled out and suffer.

Unless you are doing it for religious purposes you might want to do some more research either into the actual companies your "kosher" meat is coming from or into considering the traditional ways of slaughterhouses because at least those animals are more likely to be already unconscious before being slaughtered.
Scuzz
Scuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by OmgItsRira on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 pm

you do bring up a good point. I'm also aware that most companies that do label their product "kosher" only means they incorporate kosher salt into it. I know better to do my research.
However comma, living in a different country from my own limits my choices even further. I'm kinda reduced to making lemons with lemonade (yes I switched it up on purpose)
OmgItsRira
OmgItsRira

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuzz on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 am

In recent news I guess Walmart is encouraging it's suppliers to make more vegan alternatives as even people who aren't vegetarian or vegan are purchasing more of these alternatives as well.
Scuzz
Scuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackParadeEnchantress on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm not a vegan or any kind of tarian.... but I have eaten at vegan restaurants and had vegan dishes at other places, and some of it is quite good!  There are definitely lots of tasty options for those who wish not to consume meat or dairy, etc.
BlackParadeEnchantress
BlackParadeEnchantress

Back to top Go down

Post by ImHannah on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

I could not be vegan but respect to those who do it
ImHannah
ImHannah

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfgirl on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I always feel bad about eating meat and I'd like to give it up but veggies get boring to me after a while? So yeah, I'm stuck with meat.
wolfgirl
wolfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum